Monday, August 29, 2005

In case you don't know how I feel about it all....

I believe racism is alive and well in America.

I believe black people cannot be racists.

I believe George W. Bush as world leader is just plain hilarious.

I believe Arnold Schwarzenegger as governor of CA is even more hilarious.

I think there will be a Latino president this millennium.

I believe he or she will be a Republican.

I believe Condi, Clarence and Colin are not reppin’ for the team.

I believe in Harvard, because everyone cannot get into MIT.

I believe Howard University is the real H.U.

I believe some HBCU’s should be closed.

I believe some predominantly white institutions of higher learning should be closed.

I believe B grades are highly underrated.

I believe the Black church is failing our youth.

I believe that MTV, VH-1, BET and Def Jam are raising our kids.

I believe Michael Vick is the best NFL player in the game.*

I believe Donavan McNabb is second best.**

I believe the Lakers should have kept Shaq and Phil.***

I believe the Lakers will stink as long as Kobe is without a dominant big man.****

I believe Kobe needs a hug.

I believe every time you hear "first black" in sports, it's an affirmation that racism in sports still exists.

I believe Ron Artest should not have been suspended for the entire season.

I believe white America doesn’t want Barry Bonds to pass The Babe on the home run list.

I believe Muhammad Ali is the most significant athlete of all time.

I believe reality TV is the worst thing to ever happen to TV.

I believe Wayne Brady is the most talented actor in the business right now.

I believe Destiny’s Child is overrated.

I believe R. Kelly is the Marvin Gaye of our generation.

I believe most athletes cheat on their wives and girlfriends.

I believe corporate moguls cheat more.

I believe “My Buddy: remix” is the greatest hip-hop collaboration of all time.

I believe “Do the Right Thing” was Spike’s greatest movie.

I believe “Bamboozled” was a whack movie.

I believe Los Angeles gets a bad rap from the entertainment industry transplant wannabes.

I believe Boston is to white people what Atlanta is to blacks.

I believe Boston is no more a racist town than San Francisco.

I believe New Jersey has the best pizza.

I believe the City of Detroit is just a mess, but will be back by 2015.

I believe that without Chicago, the Midwest would be pointless.

I believe Toronto has the most beautiful women.

I believe college athletes should not get paid.

I believe someone in professional sports will come out.*****

I believe American society worships sex, money, drugs and violence a little too much.

I believe you should not have to stand for the national anthem if you do not want to.

I believe Dave Chappelle is a genius.

I believe Bill Cosby was accurate.

I believe golf is not a sport.

I believe Halle Berry is a head case, but still ridiculously beautiful.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jimar said...

A friend of mine sent over a response and question to my comment about some HBCU's needing to close up shop. The questions are followed by response...

Begin guest response:

I found your beliefs interesting and am wondering about one in particular. Why should HBCU's be closed? What is your perspective on them academically? What do they do/not emotionally for students who attend?

My response:

Thanks for the question. I must first state that I do not believe that ALL HBCU's should be closed nor do I question in 2005 their relevance to society and to our communities. When I say that some HBCU's should be closed, I am speaking specifically about one institution in particular that made headlines in the past couple of years about losing its accreditation, a long history of egregious fiscal mismanagement, inadequate student-living conditions, rediculously limited resources for its students and a reputation for mediocracy.

I am speaking of Morris Brown College in Atlanta, GA.

You may be thinking to yourself, "I know alums from MBC who are doing quite well for themselves today" or "Well isn't that the situation with many of our Black institutions of higher learning, much less our K-12 institutions?" or "Well shouldn't some white institutions be closed down, too?"

Morris Brown has always been second fiddle to more prominent AUC institutions (namely Morehouse, Spelman and Clark Atlanta) and boasts being the most accommodating to "marginal" students of all AUC campuses. I am not against the marginal student at all, but I am not in favor of a struggling Black institution failing any of our students--marginal, exceptional, or otherwise. MBC suffers from poor leadership, a lack of strong alumni donor and other philanthropic support and in turn is in a major fiscal crisis--year in and year out.

When I state that I feel some HBCU's should be closed, perhaps I left it so bare to insight further dialogue (read: piss someone off! lol). But I was thinking also in terms of economic efficiency, whereas consolidating with another institution might be most prudent. Clark College and Atlanta University realized that it would be advantageous to consolidate for the sake of economics and efficiency to become Clark Atlanta University. They recognized that the times called for bold changes in order to keep up with the day and meet the challenge of effectively training Black men and women to be successful. Rather than hold on to a tradition that may have eventually led to one or both of them closing, they realized their strengthes and weaknesses and decided to merge.

Morris Brown may not enjoy the luxury of merging with a local institution today. But as long as it remains in fiscal crisis, as long the students suffer from inadequate resources (some don't have access to computers, some are forced to live in area hotels and motels because the college promised them housing that was unavailable, while others who were promised financial aid do not have any), then I believe that MBC does nothing but TARNISH THE RICH HISTORY OF HISTORICALLY BLACK COLLEGES AND UNIVERSITIES AND DIMINISHED THE INTEGRITY OF THOSE INSTITUTIONS THAT DEMAND AND PRODUCE EXCELLENCE. To be somewhat fair, one could argue that MBC still standing today is a symbol of our excellence and our perserverance in spite of. But I feel that excellence is also manifested in strong leadership that is not afraid to make bold decisions that ultimately lead to producing greatness.

I will give you the chance to offer up comments if you'd like. To be continued....

Jimar Wilson

Oct 27, 2005, 1:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a graduate of Louisiana Tech University, which is in the same parish/county as Grambling State University. I am not surprised about the financial shenanigans that were going on at GSU. This isn't the first time Grambling had been faced with corrupt administrators. Years ago, Southern University fired their president for the same reason. This is a major problem at HBCUs. I now live in Florida, and OMG, FAMU was faced with the same bovine fecal matter. Shoddy leadership and corrupt administrators, in fact, they were in danger of losing their accreditation! Why does this stuff only happen at Black Colleges.

I took classes @ Grambling, and registering for classes there was an absolute NIGHTMARE! I could register at La Tech in a matter of minutes, while at Grambling, the same process took HOURS.

HBCUs need better management, period. If the alumni of HBCUs do not like what I have said, say hello to Lucifer for me!

Dec 28, 2008, 8:55:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Greeting from America's oldest Black Institution of Higher Education, Cheyney University of Pennsylvania. I have had the pleasure of reading your blog regarding the strives and struggles of Historically Black Colleges and Universities and African Americans in general. I decided that you would be a good point of contact as a guest at an event that our students have been planning over the summer that could also serve as a venue to creatively dialogue about these continued issues within the HBCU communities. The Masquerade Ball themed, "Unmasking Inequalities at HBCUs" will take place on 10/31/09 at 7pm at Cheyney.

We have invited Presidents of other HBCUs, advocates like Tom Joyner, as well as others who have proposed the controversial merger of HBCUs such as Seth Harp, chairman of the state Senate's Higher Education Committee in Georgia. We are expecting that this will be a much needed dialogue and advance opportunities for the exploration of resolutions to this national issue. Feel free to contact me at cheyneyrlmclub@gmail.com for more info.

Felicia Seamon
RLM Advisor
Cheyney '00

Aug 26, 2009, 12:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I love this! Can I post this on my facebook? How come you are not a writer for a major paper! Ginny

Aug 28, 2009, 9:13:00 PM  
Blogger Jimar said...

Some updates since posting "Jimar's Doctrine"....

*Michael Vick was hit with a Federal indictment in 2006 for illegal dog fighting and faced up to 6 years in prison. He would serve nearly 2 years before returning to field for 2009 season.

**Donovan McNabb would go on to have two sub-par seasons in which injuries ended each season prematurely.

***Phil Jackson returned as coach of the L.A. Lakers after a one year hiatus.

****The LAKERS hadn't won a playoff series since Shaq's departure. But won the 2009 NBA finals with Pau Gasol.

*****In February 2007, John Amaechi publicly announced that he is gay and became the first player associated with the NBA to come out.

Aug 31, 2009, 8:51:00 PM  
Blogger Jimar said...

https://hbcuconnect.com/content/362201/atlanta-based-hbcu-morris-brown-college-is-back?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Jan 12, 2021, 11:42:00 AM  
Blogger Jimar said...

☝🏾☝🏾☝🏾Morris Brown is back. See story above.

Jan 12, 2021, 11:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home